Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Creative Habit by: Twyla Tharp

When Twyla Tharp explains her idea of scratching, she is talking about searching for ideas. One main aspect of scratching that I can use in my artistic process is developing little ideas. In the reading, Ms. Tharp explains that the best creations come from little ideas rather than big ideas which really spoke to me. Usually I try to come up with an entire project as my first step rather than sitting down and figuring out two little skills to combine into a big one. Another method of scratching that Ms. Tharp explained is to experiment and generate ideas by doing. This is one aspect that I have continuously worked at and I believe it will help me throughout senior studio this year. Once I can figure out my medium, I will experiment with that medium until I am able to generate something truly creative. The final aspect of scratching that I took away from this reading is be in shape. Over the past couple years I have noticed that when I take a break from drawing and painting, I lose some of my skill. This year I will make sure that I continue to practice, even if it is not part of my specific project. Ms. Tharps warning that you should never scratch the same place twice also really stood out to me. This means that you will not gain anything new from exploring something that you have already explored. This is something I can usually get caught up on because I feel like something is going to change the second time I do it, but it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment